Counsel to Secure Justice (“CSJ”) is a non-profit organization in Delhi, India that aspires for people impacted by sexual abuse and other forms of violence in India to have access to justice systems that repair harm, empower the vulnerable and reconcile broken relationships, keeping each survivor’s needs central to the process.
CSJ provides legal and psychosocial support during criminal proceedings to children who have been sexually harmed. Long term, we are pivoting our focus towards implementing restorative justice solutions that repair harm from sexual abuse and empower more people to come forward about sexual abuse.
The Communications Manager will develop content and communications strategy, build partner and media relations, and ensure the delivery of an effective communications program from the organization. The position assignment is based in New Delhi, India. The position reports to the Program Director.
- Formulate a comprehensive communication plan and strategy for CSJ in consultation with the Program Director.
- Capture images and video for use in CSJ communications, including social media, website, promotional materials and presentations.
- Conceptualise, design and execute production of finished communication products like short films or vlogs.
- Interview clients and their families, CSJ staff, government officials, and other stakeholders to use when drafting stories about CSJ’s work.
- Create photo essays and draft stories that create an emotional connection with clients and gives insight into our restorative justice work.
- Regularly post on social media platforms and ensure the work and ethos of CSJ are innovatively reflected in these posts, while respecting confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain quality content on CSJ’s website. Work with staff and external stakeholders on creating the content
- Educational blog focused on restorative justice on the CSJ website; recruit and coordinate with outside contributors for blog posts.
- Database of academic articles on restorative justice and law relevant to CSJ’s work
Partner relations and image building
- Coordinate with affiliate organizations to develop CSJ promotional materials, such as brochures, flyers, MailChimp templates, etc.
- Create innovative ways to reach new supporters, engage them, package opportunities for giving and raising funds (crowdfunding, corporate partnerships, etc).
- Strategise, develop and execute a fundraising campaign twice each year to raise funds for CSJ’s work.
- Maintain CSJ’s contact database (MailChimp); coordinate with the CSJ staff to ensure important contacts who should receive updates about CSJ are entered.
- Maintain regular contact with CSJ supporters and stakeholders on CSJ’s work through emails from MailChimp
- Design and create layout for CSJ research studies
- Oversee drafting of CSJ’s annual report to the Board of Directors, donors, supporters and others interested in CSJ’s work.
- Provide staff communication support for outreach activities like stakeholder meetings, trainings conducted by the organisation or report launch events.
- Build relationships with people in media and provide them useful information so CSJ becomes a source of information about restorative justice in India.
- Create a media program that places press releases, news stories and op-eds to raise awareness about sexual harm and restorative justice.
- Create standards and ensure quality for CSJ’s external communications (email, presentations, trainings, etc.)
- Recruit communications interns from Indian schools that can support you in carrying out your responsibilities
Required qualifications and attributes
- Postgraduate degree in Marketing and Communications, Journalism or a related field
- At least 2 years experience in marketing communications or journalism and sharing stories that connect emotionally with readers and cause them to act
- Excellent comprehension of written and spoken English and Hindi
- Excellent command of written English language, including grammar, spelling, sentence structure and content organization
- Can take complex issues and convey points in words and images in a simple, logical yet compelling way
- Demonstrated commitment to the marginalised and vulnerable sections of society
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and publishing software
- Proficient in WordPress and MailChimp or demonstrated ability to learn communications-related software
- Effective organizer and planner with rigorous attention to detail
- Comfortable with conducting field work in impoverished communities and interacting with people from low socio-economic backgrounds
- Compassionate and sensitive with an ability to build trust, especially with children
- Commitment to meeting deadlines and achieving results under pressure