CSJ is looking for a Legal Fellow
Counsel to Secure Justice (“CSJ”) is a law and advocacy organization based in Delhi, India that seeks effective and compassionate justice for children who have suffered sexual abuse. The Legal Fellow will serve a full-time, two-year assignment with CSJ that develops her/him into leaders who have refined and practical professional skills, high standards of personal and professional ethics and a passion to serve the disadvantaged.
During the assignment, the Fellow will coordinate legal support for children who have suffered sexual abuse, take up cases on behalf of the organisation, and help with research aimed to further sensitive justice systems in India. The position assignment is based in New Delhi, India. The position reports to the Program Director.
- Attend court hearings regularly and advocate for victims of child sexual abuse.
- Work with social workers to identify outside lawyer and coordinate with third party lawyers for legal support in child sexual abuse cases.
- Collect copies of FIR, S.161 statement, S.164 statement and Medico-Legal Certificate for cases and legally analyse documents to identify strengths and weaknesses and to recommend correct offences to charge.
- Coordinate and follow up with assigned advocates from pro bono panel and partner organisations to get updates and progress on cases until judgment; keep CSJ team updated on case progress.
- Help clients/family seek witness protection when witnesses face threats or intimidation related to case.
- Support the casework team with drafting legal documents, such as applications for victim compensation.
- Work with the assigned lawyer and CSJ support person to prepare key witnesses to testify, including leading mock direct and cross-examination.
- Carry out research and writing that contributes towards studies the Casework team produces.
- Organise, catalogue and analyse data collected for research and draft summaries.
- Stay updated on relevant criminal, procedural and evidentiary law related to investigation and adjudication of child sexual abuse cases in particular and child protection jurisprudence in general and circulate updates to team on weekly basis.
- Methodically document client case information in a consistent, accurate, comprehensive and timely manner.
Required qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor of Laws degree required, Master of Laws preferred
- Registered with the Bar Council of India
- A minimum of one year of litigation experience, preferably at the trial courts of Delhi. (Persons with experience in criminal law practice will be preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office or similar software and database systems
- Demonstrated commitment to the vulnerable sections of society
- Excellent comprehension of written and spoken English and Hindi
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a challenging, sometimes hostile, environment
- Uncompromising insistence on truth, integrity and excellence in work
- Persistent, bold, yet diplomatic, when interacting with people and completing assignments
- Willingness to learn and stretch oneself beyond comfort levels
- Ability to adapt to the changing environment of a new and growing organization
- Commitment to meeting deadlines and achieving results under pressure
Interested candidates can send their CVs on: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: January 25, 2021
CSJ is looking for a Communications and Development Officer
Creating powerful stories about CSJ’s work and justice for child sexual abuse victims
- Capture images and video to use in CSJ communications, including social media, website, promotional materials and presentations.
- Interview clients and their families, CSJ staff, government officials, and other stakeholders to use when drafting stories about CSJ’s work.
- Draft stories that create an emotional connection with clients, give insight into realities of sexual abuse and create hope.
- Every two months, draft and circulate issue-based stories that draw from experiences of the casework team when handling child sexual abuse cases.
- Build and engage a community of people who support and follow CSJ’s work.
- Regularly post updates on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites.
- Create content and provide planning support for annual fundraising event.
- Managing and updating Mailchimp database, sending regular emails to CSJ’s community and communicate about our work.
- Build CSJ’s web presence and content on website.
- Create a blog and recruit people who post on the blog
- Post research studies
- Post regular case updates and stories about clients
- Create profiles of CSJ staff and fellow.
Build relationships with media
- Build relationships with people in media and provide useful information so CSJ becomes a source of information about sexual violence against women in India.
- Create a media program that places press releases, news stories and op-eds to raises awareness on specific themes regarding child sexual abuse.
Support CSJ staff with communications
- Create standards and ensure quality of CSJ’s external communications (email, presentations, trainings, etc.)
- Recruit communications interns from Indian schools that can support you in carrying out responsibilities and sustain your work.
- Support staff to create support materials for program components like trainings, workshops etc
Required qualifications and attributes
- Postgraduate degree in Marketing and Communications, Journalism or a related field
- At least 2 years’ experience in marketing communications or journalism and sharing stories that connect emotionally with readers and cause them to act
- Excellent comprehension of written and spoken English
- Excellent command of written English language, including grammar, spelling, sentence structure and content organization
- Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions? Email us at email@example.com
- Application Deadline: January 8, 2021
CSJ seeks volunteer lawyers to represent child sexual abuse victims
CSJ seeks qualified Indian advocates to serve on a pro bono lawyers panel that provides free legal representation to child sexual abuse victims during trial.
What court are cases located? Cases will be in Delhi trial courts, mostly Saket court, but a few in Patiala House court.
What is required of you? Provide direct legal representation in one case. Commit at least one year to the case (the contract is renewable).
CSJ is looking for qualified, committed and compassionate people to intern with CSJ in law, social work, psychology, marketing, communications, and finance. Interested candidates can send their CVs and a statement of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org